Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)
Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) uses hormones identical to those found in the human body instead of synthetic hormones or chemicals designed to mimic hormones.
At Lemarchand Dispensary, we have a long history of compounding therapies for hormone replacement therapy. We can compound creams, capsules, suppositories, and lozenges that contain bio-identical estrogens, progesterone, testosterone, and DHEA.
Delivering hormones through the skin has many advantages, the main being the ability of the hormones to bypass the liver metabolism. We use cream bases that are gentle, moisturizing, aesthetically pleasing, safe for vaginal use, and ideal for drug delivery through the skin. We also use metered-dose dispensers that provide precise dosing so that you can feel confident self-administering these transdermal treatments.
What is the difference between HRT and BHRT?
- Bioidentical HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) is different from traditional HRT in that we use hormones that are chemically identical to what are found naturally in the human body. Our hormones are derived from plant sources (eg. Yam or soya) whereas traditional HRT uses synthetic hormones.
What should I watch out for?
- Some women may experience breast tenderness, nausea, headaches and/or bloating when starting BHRT. Men may experience changes in libido, fatigue, or changes in weight.
- Many of the side effects should be minimal to none once your dose has been corrected.
- You can feel confident your prescriber has weighed the pros and cons of treatment
What can I expect from treatment?
- Everyone responds differently to BHRT. It could take 4-8 weeks to feel changes in symptoms. Your health care provider will monitor your symptoms and hormone levels and may adjust your therapy a few times to find the optimal delivery system and dosage for you.